April 28, 2017: Zombie TrumpCare and Government Shutdown Delayed
- Lacking the necessary support, House Republicans decided again to postpone a vote on the TrumpCare bill.
- Congress passed a short-term continuing resolution today, funding the government through May 5.
House Republicans decided late yesterday not to seek a vote this week on the American Health Care Act (AHCA, "TrumpCare"). According to reporting by The Hill, at least 21 Republicans still opposed the bill in its amended form and 55 more were undecided or unclear in their support. Republicans can only afford to lose 22 votes among their own ranks and still pass the bill.
Even though no vote took place today, a vote on TrumpCare remains a possibility for next week and beyond.
- In New Blow to Trump, Repeal of Health Law Fails Again (New York Times)
- The Hill's Whip List: 21 GOP no votes on new ObamaCare replacement bill (The Hill)
Congress passed a one-week continuing resolution today to continue funding the government at current levels through May 5. The resolution (HJ. Res. 99) passed the House on a vote of 382-30, and was passed by a voice vote in the Senate shortly thereafter.
In his Floor remarks before the House vote, House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer urged the House Appropriations Committee to pass an omnibus spending bill, noting that he would vote for today's continuing resolution but would not vote for another one. He also indicated that he expects a new spending bill to be filed on Monday.
- Senate passes stopgap funding bill to avert shutdown (The Hill)
- HJ. Res. 99 (official bill information)
- HJ. Res. 99 House roll call vote results
- Hoyer Floor Remarks on the One-Week CT (Hoyer press release)
Conclusion/Call Script Overview
Today I will be calling my House Representative and asking him to release a statement condemning Rep. MacArthur's AHCA amendment. I'll also ask him not to support any spending bill that includes funding for a border wall.
If you don't know who your Representative in the House, you can look it up here: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/
Script for Calling Scott Peters
"Hi, my name is _____ and I'm calling from _____ (zip code). I'm calling to express my appreciation for the work Congressman Peters did to help defeat the first TrumpCare bill, and to ask him to continue that work by issuing a statement condemning the MacArthur amendment. I also appreciate that the Congressman has been steadfast in his opposition to a border wall. Based on Whip Hoyer's floor remarks today, I understand that a new omnibus spending bill may be filed on Monday, and I want to make sure that Congressman Peters will not support any new spending bill that includes funding for a border wall. Thank you."