May 8, 2017: Weekly Actions
This past week was a difficult one. House Republicans managed to pass their disastrous TrumpCare bill—though with 20 members of their own party voting against it, the bill passed by a mere 4 votes. Here in San Diego, Indivisible members from around the county immediately responded, joining rallies in Vista, Escondido, and Balboa Park on Friday.
As Congress enters another recess period this week, it's imperative that we continue to stand indivisible and fight back against the GOP's disastrous agenda. In San Diego, in California, and all across the United States, we are more determined than ever.
Recommended Actions for the Week of May 8:
- We've updated our info page on TrumpCare with new calling scripts. Whether your representative voted for or against the bill, they need to hear from you about it. Please take a few minutes and call your rep's district office.
- The rallies last week were successful in getting the attention of the media and our elected officials, but we need to keep up the pressure. Consider joining one of the upcoming rallies this week, listed below.
- The EPA is seeking public comment on the Trump Administration's plan to rollback our environmental protections. Leave a comment in their system letting them know how important environmental protections are to you. (Indivisible Berkley has put together a helpful Google Doc with instructions on how to navigate the EPA's comment form.)
- Did you know that your electronic devices are subject to search and seizure without a warrant if you are traveling internationally, even if you are a U.S. citizen? Take a few minutes and call your House Representative and Senators and ask them to co-sponsor the Protecting Data at the Border Act.
- For residents of the 52nd District, Scott Peters still hasn't signed on to co-sponsor the SOLVE Act 2.0, even though he had said he would. Take a few minutes and let him know that you'd still like him to do so.
PLEASE NOTE: If you attend a rally or demonstration outside of the district in which you are registered to vote, remember to always defer if approached by media. Instead, direct all requests for interviews or comments to a constituent of that district.
Special Rally - Light Brigade:
Where: I-5 Requeza Street Overpass (near Rancho Coastal Humane Society, between Santa Fe Drive and Encinitas Blvd), Encinitas, CA.
When: Monday, May 8. 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM.
Indivisible 49 is holding a rally at the Requeza Street overpass in Encinitas, joined by the San Diego Overpass Light Brigade. Bring signs and battery-powered candles, but no flashlights.
Sick Day Rally - Issa's Vote Makes Us Sick:
Where: 1800 Thibodo Road, Vista, CA, 92081.
When: Tuesday, May 9. 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
Indivisible 49 will be holding a "sick-in" at Darrell Issa's Vista office. Attendees are encouraged to bring canes, crutches, slings, and surgical masks to demonstrate to Issa the need for comprehensive, truly affordable health care, and express their outrage at Issa's 216th "Yes" vote. CNN is expected to cover the rally, so a huge turnout is needed.
"GOP: See You in 2018!" Beach Action:
Where: Public beach near Hotel del Coronado. 1500 Orange Ave, Coronado, CA, 92118.
When: Thursday, May 11. 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM.
Voters will gather on the beach outside the Spring Meeting of the Republican National Committee and spell out “2018" with their bodies on the sand for an aerial photo. Banners will target Darrell Issa in particular, as his vote for AHCA makes it easier to defeat him.