May 29, 2017: Weekly Actions
This past week was once again a full news week, with highs and lows following quickly on each others' heels. The White House released its disastrous budget, which not only deeply cuts into Medicaid, disability programs, student loans, and food assistance, but is also based on a $2 trillion math error. Republican Greg Gianforte won the special election for Montana's at-large Congressional seat, even after assaulting a journalist the day before—though, notably, the state swung 14 points to the left in that election. And in his trip to Europe, the President insulted our NATO allies, complained about the German auto industry selling cars here (many of which are made in US factories), and refused to commit to reaffirming the Paris Climate Agreement.
On the other hand, we also saw state legislative seats in New York and New Hampshire flip in districts that voted for Trump. The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the block on the President's Muslim ban. And the Russia investigation is proceeding apace, with revelations from the Washington Post late Friday that Jared Kushner tried to set up a secret communications channel with Russia, and the Senate Intelligence Committee requesting all documents from the President's campaign.
This week, both the House and Senate are on recess and our elected representatives are back in their home states and districts. This makes a great opportunity to make our voices heard, so let's take advantage of it!
Recommended Actions For the Week of May 29:
- HR. 10, the Financial CHOICE Act, has been added to the House's floor calendar for next week. As you may recall, this bill would roll back many of the key provisions of the Dodd-Frank Act, gut the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and make it easier for another financial crisis to take place, like the one we saw in 2008. All of this, just to help Wall Street bankers get even richer. The national Indivisible team has put together a call script to oppose HR. 10. Please take a few minutes this week and call your House Representative.
- Now that our Senators are back in their home states, it's more important than ever that they hear from us about TrumpCare. We've updated our issue page with a new call script for your Senators, as well as scripts for holding your House Representatives accountable. Please take a few minutes and call your elected officials to oppose TrumpCare. If you'd like to go further, the national Indivisible team has put together a number of resources for resisting TrumpCare, from planning die-ins to asking the right questions at town hall meetings. Check out their resources and take action!
- SB-149, the Presidential Tax Transparency and Accountability Act, passed the California Senate Appropriations Committee last week and now heads to the Senate floor. We've updated our issue page on the bill, so please call your state senator to support the bill.
- Two bills we've been tracking in the California Assembly have passed the Assembly Appropriations Committee: AB-450, which would protect workers against ICE activities, and AB-699, which would keep ICE agents out of our schools. You can find updated issue pages for those bills here and here, so please call your Assembly member to support those bills.
- On the healthcare front, we're pleased to report that SB-562, the Healthy California Act, has passed the California Senate Appropriations Committee. This bill would establish a single-payer healthcare system here in California, providing access to healthcare for millions of Californians and proving the viability of single-payer to the rest of the country. Please check out our new issue page on SB-562, then call your state senator to support the bill.
- This coming Saturday, cities across America will be participating in the March for Truth, demanding an independent Russia commission, the release of the President's tax returns, and the prosecution of any crimes or collusion committed by the Administration. Indivisible San Diego has joined our local march as a co-sponsor, where we will gather in Mission Bay Park to make our voices heard. Please join us for the March for Truth San Diego, or find the march closest to you.